Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Reading List!


I just noticed I haven't really addressed what I've been reading, or plan to read, this year and we're almost halfway through Spring!

Let's correct this oversight!


On the Society of Diana facebook page I asked for opinions on When the Drummers were Women by Layne Redmond. I've read reviews about how it's heavy on the matriarchy vs patriarchy and less focused on the thread of women (as priestesses?) drumming/communing with The Goddess. However, I won't judge this book by its cover and will give it a go. I'm going to get it from the library. If I fall in love with it, I'll put it on my list of books to add to my Beauty and the Beast style library.

I am skeptical. I used books.google.com to do a word search to see if "tarantella" was in the book and it was not. Hrmmm... We shall see!

Care to read along? You can go to worldcat and enter the title and your zipcode and it will show you a list of libraries near you which have it. You can also probably request an inter library loan through your local library.

Speaking of lists, let's get to it!

Last year I read the Aeneid. This year's epic? The Argonautica! I'll be starting that officially in June for anyone who wants to play along at home.

Where were we? Ah.. on the list so far:

When the Drummers were Women, Layne Redmond

The Argonautica, translation by Douglass E Killings

Sumerian hymns from cuneiform texts in the British Museum by Frederick Augustus Vanderburgh

Tubelo's Green Fire by Shani Oates is one I've been meaning to read for a while! I wonder if the e-book is out yet?


What are you reading now? Have you read any of the books on the list? Have any comments or recommendations?


No comments:

Post a Comment