Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teramo!

Another name! Ack! Yeah. This one comes to us from, allegedly, the Etruscans, as recorded by Leland. It's another name for our favorite information dealing, thief aiding, merchant loving deity, Mercury! Hermes! Turms! It seems to be a regional name. The same exact lore was attached regarding stealing the cattle of Apollo. Here is a spell Leland recorded in Etruscan Magic and Occult Remedies:

"Teramo, Teramo, as it is true,
That you are my friend I pray to you,
And may this message which I send,
Quickly and safely reach its end!"
Then the one praying takes a pigeon, and fastens his note to its wing, or neck, and says:
"Go fly afar for me ! And Teramo keep you company !"

This brought to mind a picture of a rooftop pigeon coop in Brooklyn and an old Italian man shuffling over to the coop to take care of business. Ever hear about the Brooklyn pigeon wars?

In other news tonight, a friend jollied me out of a foul mood by reminding me of an old Italian saying straight outta Brooklyn: What do you you do when the haters start hatin'?

"Tell em to go scratch their ass in Macy's window!"

If you don't understand what that means, I can't really explain it. Don't think about it too long, just enjoy it. Unless you're one of the haters then, well, see you on 34th street.

No comments:

Post a Comment