Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hekate's Night

Goddess Hecate of the triple road
Protect my family and abode
Lead me through darkest night
Grace my journey with your light
Saffron clad with serpent coils
Bring fruition to my toils
As canines bark and silence rend
Your holy feast I will attend
Garlic, poppies, sweets and grain
Tonight with you I'll dance again. 
-SoD original


A few words I was inspired to write now for Hecate's night. She is described as "saffron cloaked" which always made me think of the sun and how She is seen with Apollo in the typical tale of the Eleusinian Mysteries. I nearly smacked my head and said "duh!" when I realized that saffron is sacred to Mercury, with whom I believe She is a divine pair. He is the essence of Saffron and She is Saffron cloaked? Sounds like a euphemism! Also, the two appear together in the same tale as the Psychopomps who return Persephone to Demeter.

I'm off to celebrate Her tonight!

Now it is the time of night
That the graves all gaping wide,
Every one lets forth his sprite,
In the church-way paths to glide:
And we fairies, that do run
By the triple Hecate's team,
From the presence of the sun,
Following darkness like a dream,
Now are frolic: not a mouse
Shall disturb this hallow'd house:
I am sent with broom before,
To sweep the dust behind the door.
- A Midsummer Night's Dream

1 comment:

  1. Hecate is a fascinating Goddess; I find new things out about her everytime I work with her. Though in researching her I find that with so much info availible on her, there is still so much we don't understand. Most of it is simply speculation and personal opinion. She is a Goddess of the Mysteries who is truely a mystery herself. Tante Benedizioni!

    ReplyDelete