Thursday, March 3, 2011

NYC Pagan Pride Day

I'm one of the coordinators and have worked with the group in some capacity for the past 11 years. It's been my way of giving back to the Pagan Community. It's Service to my local Pagan fellows, and to My Patrons, and to My City. I might not be located in NYC anymore but I will always be a New Yorker.

I also get a lot out of the whole experience. I get to meet new people, I get together with friends I haven't seen in ages, I get to hear new music and learn new things and save up my money to spend at the amazing vendors. Sometimes it feels like I'm throwing a party for myself with all of my favorite things and favorite people. It's an amazing time.

It's also difficult to organize an event of this magnitude. There are never enough volunteers, especially during the planning process. Lots of folks have wonderful ideas, but there are few who stick around to see them through. I'm putting it out there: I'm asking Mercury, whose planet will be retrograde twice during the planning process, to send me 5 quality, sane, volunteers who are creative and follow through to help us with the planning and realization of #11 in '11. (It's on Saturday, September 24th!)

This is also the 10th anniversary of the Twin Towers. The Festival is right by Ground Zero. Is it tacky to use an image of the towers with this being our 11th anniversary? We couldn't have it at Battery Park that first year because it was being used as barracks. We were moved to Washington Square Park. Thankfully they didn't cancel the event. My using the image would be an homage to the event and the site. Our first ritual was written by Maypole Joe and Jackie Beltane and dedicated to healing and helping with moving on. I still have the braid we created that day. It's black, white and red. I don't know if the image, minus the context of the story, would be taken the right way. I'm very sensitive to the tourists who are in the area just to gawk at ground zero. Seriously? Is their next stop a hospital where they can gawk at the people waiting in the ER? Bleh. I need to ask some New Yorkers about this. 

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183232_10150431594105107_819655106_17591469_1493273_n.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment