Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Women's history month

And it starts with the Matronalia! Hail Juno Lucina! This month I will be focusing on Goddesses. Well, when don't I? lol I often do. Especially since this month we have the "Lesser" Mysteries and the Return of Spring. I had promised to post an updated book list, so let's start the month with one and highlight the various women, both Goddesses and not.

Aeneid: Juno! Venus! Queen Dido!

Vestiges of ancient manners and customs, discoverable in modern Italy and Sicily By John James Blunt:

Who doesn't he talk about? Ha! He talks about Cybele, Fortuna, and especially interesting: Diana of Syracuse and Ceres of Enna! \o/


Roman religion and the cult of Diana at Aricia: Diana! Hekate!

Italian-American Folklore, By Frances M. Malpezzi

Epodes, Carmen Saeculare by Horace

The Cult of Divine Birth in Ancient Greece by Marguerite Rigoglioso

I've noticed that there's an inordinate amount of Italian books on my list, as in written in Italian. Folk songs, Tarantella, and a few other fun things.

That's all for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment