Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Plateau

I feel like I've hit one with my posting. Part of me isn't motivated, part doesn't have the time for a proper post, part doesn't have the energy and part of me wants my privacy and is rebelling against expectations. This is post # 131. Not every post will be a winner, but I certainly don't just want to take up space. I'm going to focus once again on my reading list and report back. Over the next few days I plan to finish reading The Cult of Divine Birth in Ancient Rome and post something in-depth next week. Tonight I was reading about early immigrants to America and the development of "Italian-Americans."

Until then, here's something that's been bugging me and I'd love to know what you think of it:

"May you never Hunger. May you never Thirst."

I've never liked these lines because, as a friend points out, they are "negations and poor magic. The subconscious has a problem with negatives." It's true- the focus is on the main idea, not on the negative word added before it. Try it: Don't think about elephants.

Oops, I bet you just did. Wouldn't it be better to say "may you be fulfilled" or perhaps "live long and prosper?"

What really bugs me is that many don't know where it actually comes from and try to pass it off as "teh uber ainshunt wurdz." They're from Stranger in a Strange Land, the science fiction book by Robert Heinlein. Seriously, kids, know what you're saying before you say it. Why not a star trek or star wars greeting? All are mythologically valid and valuable.

New things aren't bad just because they're new. I've said it here before: Italians use what works. We might laugh at people who use "jar sauce" but most of us are fine using tomatoes from a can instead of making the Sunday gravy with fresh produce!

I've been going over my list of posts to write and I've been editing. There are things I've decided to not share and more things that I want to get deeper into, including Joseph Campbell and the common threads of myth that connect all ancient world cultures. And I'm positively surrounded by gorgeous men who are devoted to Isis and the Kemetic Ways. Just saying... That's 3 now, It's a message!

No comments:

Post a Comment