Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Charon the Ferryman.

Let me start by saying the passing of Amy Winehouse took me on this search. I wouldn't call myself a fan, I never really knew much about her, other then a few of her most popular songs. It was her fighting the demons of alcohol, bulimia, self cutting, and drug abuse, that really made me feel so sorry for her. A life with so much talent was being so tormented on this side that she finally decided she had had enough. I only pray that she finally finds the peace on the other side that obviously she could not find on this plane. Rest in Peace Amy Winehouse.

Charon was believed to be the ancient son of Erebus and Nyx (the goddess of night). His symbol was the double headed hammer. He was the ferryman to the Titans delivering the souls of mortals to the underworld. His job was to ferry the dead across the River Styx to the entrance of Hades. A coin was placed in the mouth of the dead person as payment for Charon. If there was no payment, the soul was forced to wander the shores for 100 years. Cerberus is the three headed dog that guards the entrance to Hades allowing souls to enter but none to leave.

So while doing my research on Charon I found this very interesting site. It is a voyage with Charon the ferryman. It took me almost an hour but I did complete the journey. May you enjoy your journey with the boatman. Collect as many coins as possible. You will need them to complete your journey.

Charon and Psyche

No comments:

Post a Comment