Friday, July 22, 2011

A Gift

There are red tailed hawks who live near my home. They circle around hither and thither and they are mesmerizing! I've seen over a dozen traveling together. I've asked them to leave a feather for me, if they happen to be done with one. Hubby spotted one today near the labyrinth and I got to hold it today and identify it using some of the wonderful resources on the internets. I've been given lots of advice on how to clean it, both physically and metaphysically. I'm going to steam it and then let it sit in the sun before I take it inside.

I've read about the legalities of possessing feathers, eggs, nests, etc.
Migratory birds may seek respite within trees or on buildings considered private property. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 prohibits the removal of all listed species or their parts (feathers, eggs, nests, etc.) from such property.
As long as I don't remove it from my property, I'm not violating any laws. Since I never plan to remove it or sell it, we're fine :) I'm enjoying learning more about this creature and how to work with them. I need to find an appropriate thank you as well!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome and good to know about such laws and cleaning knowledges. My husband's totem is a Red Tailed Hawk, he's been graced with up-close and personal encounters many times. I've always wanted a feather/talon from one for him.

    Glad to hear that the Spirits heard you and felt yall were special enough for them to gift a feather. Blessings! ~)O(~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been persistent in asking and leaving offerings and working on building a relationship. Mercury is one of my Patrons so it's fitting to work with a creature sacred to Him. How very cool that your husband has had up-close encounters! Would he mind sharing what kind of work he does with them? How he interacts? Energetic? Natural relationship? Ceremony? Always curious!

    ReplyDelete