Friday, April 8, 2011

History

Not only does it repeat itself, if you don't have a foundation in the history of your people and your craft, how are you going to know when and how to wield whatever power or skills you have been acquiring? I want to know where my practices come from. I want to know why and how they evolved the way they did. Don't you? It might help us to avoid the mistakes of our Ancestors, or right an ancient wrong. Yeah, that last part is a little dramatic, so back to the topic:

I hate when people act like an idea is new just because it's new to them. If people waste time reinventing the wheel of the year, we're not going to move forward. You don't need to reinvent Pythagoras or Empedocles or Parmenides, you just have to read what they've left behind for us. Well, what has survived anyway. How can anyone who purports to be part of a mystery tradition, or aspire to be an initiate not read these ancient works on the very nature of The Mysteries and the Universe? Is it because no one teaches them anymore? Because no moderns teachers stress these ancient writers?


That's all I have for tonight. I'm still looking for the article I had on Persephone and Aphrodite as two sides of the same coin, tho thinking about it, and talking to a fellow bibliophile, I might be recalling Peter Kingsley's Dark Places of Wisdom, or another of his books, Reality, or maybe Ancient Philosophy, Mystery, and Magic: Empedocles and Pythagorean Tradition. It's been a while and I need a refresher.

I'm always looking for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment